top of page

Sierra Leone Police requests a sit down with APC to discuss ultimatum march

The Sierra Leone Police has requested a sit down with the All People’s Congress party to discuss their planned procession, a consequence of the seventy-two hours ultimatum given to the Electoral Commission of Sierra Leone, by the Presidential candidate of their party, Dr. Samura Mathew Wilson Kamara.

The Police whilst responding to the letter from the Secretary General of the APC Lawyer Lansana Dumbuya, had reminded that a three day period is prescribed by law for such notifications and encouraged the party to consider the alternate route of registering their grievance through the Political Parties Regulations Commission.

The Police is inviting the party to a sitdown at their headquarters on Monday at 1PM to discuss intent, route and number of people who will be moving to the Commission’s office.

All these were put in motion when Dr. Kamara on Wednesday issued an ultimatum of 72 hours to the commission for abnormalities in the electoral process created by their conduct. His ultimatum had called for regularization of said abnormalities (voter data, digitized voter cards etc) failing which, the resignation of all commissioners.

The Commissioner Mohamed Konneh had responded to say there will be no resignation and the ultimatum time had elapsed.

The Secretary General of the APC had written to notify the Police of their decision to organize a match soon, in accordance with section 17 of the Public Order Act of 1965. The latter explained that the party will be processing to ECSL to deliver a position paper, led by their Presidential Candidate, Dr. Kamara.

The Secretary General has today confirmed to this medium that he will be honoring the Police’s invite along with few other executives on Monday, in hopes that this is not a delay tactic but rather a way to devise the security of personnel and citizens alike, as the procession occurs.

He says contrary to the Police letter, his party did not set a date and therefore are well within their rights for a time of 72 hours of notification to the Police.


bottom of page